October 16, 2008

A Meal Fit for a King

Yesterday was my day off. I usually spend a good portion of my Wednesdays off sewing, but today I just was not in the mood. I felt like cooking instead. Since we are now in week 5 of the aftermath of our downstairs flood, there has not been much cooking in our house lately. The contents of our entire kitchen is still in storage and will be for 2 more weeks!.......Daughter, however, has a wonderful kitchen just 2 miles away, and since Son-in-Law is away on business this week and she isn't cooking much, I decided to take over her kitchen for the day and cook for everyone.....
The Grandkids recently discovered BBQ ribs and have asked for them several times. Since I am not a big fan of them I've never made them before (that whole getting-stuck-in-your-teeth thing turns me off!) I'm willing to try cooking just about anything, especially if the Grandkids are asking me to, and these turned out great! I even ate several of them myself....
I marinated them for a few hours in Coca-Cola and lots of minced garlic. I poured off the marinade and baked them covered with foil for 2 hours. Then 45 minutes uncovered, basting with BBQ sauce (next time I'll make twice as many and use the grill) They were falling-off-the bone-tender and we ate every one of them! Served with Buttered Noodles w/ Parmesan Cheese:

Roasted broccoflower: If you haven't tried broccoflower, get some and cook it like this. It's delicious! The non-veggie loving grandkids even ate it (well, a few bites anyway). I love broccoli, but not cauliflower so much, but this hybrid is great! Just toss with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. 10-15 minutes at 450 degrees.

I could live on this salad! Baby greens, chopped pears, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, Gorgonzola cheese, balsamic vinaigrette. (add some cooked chicken and it would make a perfect meal!)

Garlic cheese biscuits: Make Bisquick drop biscuits according to the box, adding garlic powder and a good amount of grated cheddar cheese. I normally would have made homemade dough in my breadmaker if I had my own kitchen stuff available, but these are quick and tasty. Not a single one left, and I made a double batch!

For dessert, I wanted to try out a new recipe, something baked, with apples or pears, but the day was getting late, so I went with the always kid-friendly ice cream cones...... peppermint ice cream on chocolate-dipped cones.

Look at these happy, satisfied faces!

Boy, was that a good dinner, if I do say so myself!!!

I can't wait to get busy in my own kitchen again once it's put back together.....I'm planning the menus in my head as we speak......

No comments: