June 12, 2009

Rindercella

I had heard that you can find absolutely anything on the internet these days. I now know it's true.....I have proof:

Do you remember "the Gong Show" from the '70's? For those of you too young to remember this HUGELY popular show I'll explain:

The Gong Show was a VERY popular game show/amateur talent show. There were game-show-celebrity judges and if they liked your act they let you finish and then gave you a score of 1-10. If they hated you they would bang a gong and you were done....you'd been "gonged!". The person with the highest score won a prize of $516.32 and a golden gong trophy.

Wellllll.......32 years ago in 1977, my (then) brother-in-law performed a funny act on the show and actually won the prize! He recited a poem in an unusual way. Recently something reminded me about this... I wonder if it would still be funny today in 2009? Hmmmmm.....I wonder if there's any way that clip could be on the internet? .....I sat down at the computer.....I wonder if I could find something about his act. How can I research this? I remember the name of the poem was "Rindercella"......I decided to just try Google first and typed in the words "Gong Show Rindercella"....and BAM!! Guess what was the first thing that popped up from YouTube?!! Yep!! There he was doing his act......time elapsed: 5 SECONDS!!

and WHY? WHY? is this 32 year old Gong Show clip of 2.42 minutes on YouTube? Who put it there? Are all the hundreds of clips from that show on the internet? or just some of them? and why this one? What the heck!!!.....WHY IS THIS CLIP ON THE INTERNET?!!! Oh, wait...I know the answer to that question...

BECAUSE APPARENTLY EVERYTHING IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE UNIVERSE IS ON THE INTERNET! that obviously can be the only explanation......

now go here and watch my brother-in-law doing his act (and yes, it's still funny)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhRdD1OU_nE

2 comments:

Run For Your Life said...

The video is not available. I'd love to see it

Unknown said...

Its also a part of a favorite sketches compilation.
Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBRGxKH_Ck
at about 31:20 seconds