May 2, 2009

Busy Little Chefs

Since the Grandkids are into all the cooking that goes on around here just as much as everyone else, I thought I'd let them do their own tutorials today.......

5 yr. old Grace made "Cinnamon Sticks" this morning...........


Sometimes if I get up early enough on Saturday I can help Mimi make a special breakfast for my Dad, Mom and little Brother. Today my brother was being a lazy bones so I got help Mimi all by myself! First I put on my horse apron and washed my hands real good. Then I made "Cinnamon Sticks" like this:


Mimi turned on the oven to 450*. Then she put a stick of butter in a pan and put it in the oven for a few minutes to get melty. I opened two cans of biscuits ( I love to pop those things open!) and rolled them all into little logs.






When the butter was all melty I dipped the biscuit logs in it and put them in rows in the pan. Be careful! The pan is hot from the oven and you can burn yourself! That can make you have an injury!






Then I mixed together some sugar and cinnamon. Today we tried brown sugar instead of white sugar and it was really good! I sprinkled it all over the top of the logs.




Then Mimi put them in the oven for about 10 minutes until they got kind of brownish and good.






Then my Mom and Dad ate some and I ate some and we had to save some for my brother, too. When Mr. Lazy Bones finally woke up I let him have the ones that were left in the pan. He was very happy to have all the rest that we didn't eat.





*******************************************************************************************


After lunch, 4 yr. old Ethan made some "Ranch Snack Mix".........


I got to make snack mix with Mimi all by myself today since Sissy got to make something by herself this morning. This is how you make it:



First wash your hands really good, and you're supposed to use warm water, not cold. Then I couldn't decide which apron to wear. I have a lot of aprons 'cause Mimi likes to make aprons all the time for everybody. I picked the red and blue bandana one.




Mimi got some good stuff to put in our snack mix this time. Sometimes we try different things. Mimi found some new stuff to use at Winco in the bulk food. We got pretzel balls, corn nuts, and corn chips with seeds in them (flax). We always like to have cheese crackers and Chex, too.






I needed to use our really huge bowl to mix it up.






Then I stirred up some oil and ranch powder and poured it on the snacks and mixed it up real good, but you have to stir gentle so you don't make crumbs. Mimi poured it into 2 bowls and cooked it in the microwave. It was too hot so we had to wait a while to eat some.






Then I put some in a bucket to take to The Cousins house and saved a lot for our family to eat.






I really like to help Mimi do the cooking...........



RANCH SNACK MIX
10 cups of your favorite snacks: cereal, nuts, pretzels, crackers, croutons
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 envelope ranch dressing powder

Gently combine snacks in very large bowl. Stir together oil and ranch powder til blended. Pour over snacks and stir gently until well coated. Pour 1/2 of mixture at a time into large plastic bowl that will fit into your microwave.

Microwave for 5 minutes like this: 2 min -stir-1 1/2 min- stir-1 1/2 min- stir
Let cool. Can be frozen in zip lock bags.

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY COOKS IN OUR KITCHEN!!

1 comment:

Kathi D said...

You are like a storybook grandma! What wonderful memories you are building for those cute kids! They will never, ever forget cooking with their grandma, and with any luck, they will do the same for their own some day. That is the beauty of building traditions.