May 25, 2009

Birthday x 3

In my previous post I might have made a brief mention of how much I was NOT looking forward to having a birthday this week (OK, OK,... so it wasn't just a mention, it was a full-on RANT, but hey!, it was a brief rant...)

Since I share a birthday with my Mother (see last year's post) I've never been allowed to just let the day go by un-noticed, no matter how much I might want to. And #2 Granddaughter was almost born on our birthday, too, but at the last minute she decided she wanted her own special day, so she came the next day instead. We have since forgiven her for that, however, and try to have a triple birthday any year we can work it out.

This year we had a triple-birthday-swimming-party at my sister's house. Cousins that only get to see each other once a year (twice if we're lucky) spent the whole day in the pool together.



We cooked a spaghetti dinner for 24 people.



There was Caramel Apple Cheesecake and Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes for dessert.



and another triple birthday is over for another year.



HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGAN!
(and happy birthday to me......)
***************************************************************************************************
STRAWBERRY LEMONADE CAKE
1 box lemon cake mix
1 3 oz. box strawberry jello
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
GLAZE:
2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup lemon juice
GLAZE: (make glaze first so sugar can be dissolving) stir together lemon juice and powdered sugar. Set aside while preparing cake.
Add dry jello to dry cake mix in large bowl. Prepare and bake cake according to directions on box using eggs, oil, and water.

While cake is still warm, poke holes over the whole cake with a fork. Pour glaze over cake. Serve with cool whip or vanilla ice cream. (I think this cake tastes best stored in the refrigerator)

variations: use lemon jello for Lemonade cake
use lime jello for lemon-lime cake (makes a neon-green cake that kids love!)

No comments: