August 17, 2008

Labels

I've been thinking about labels lately. Garment labels. For my aprons.

Several friends that are also repeat customers have mentioned that I really need to have labels on all my handmade items, so this weekend I did a little research:

I noticed that a lot of the ladies over at the Apronista website have labels on their aprons. A lot of items on ETSY also have labels. OK! I guess I need some labels for the items I have now become obsessed with making!! If I'm going to have an obsession, I suppose I really should do it right......

I googled and spent quit a while looking at different possibilities and bottom line:
I'd need to spend approximately $35.00 (plus S & H) PLUS a one time set-up charge of $50.00 for only 50 LABELS!! Holy Cow! There go all the profits! AND it would take 4-6 weeks to get them!

I decided to sleep on it.

In the morning I went back to googling, this time for homemade labels. I found several tutorials using different techniques. Using ideas from 3 different sites, I came up with my own version:

Using "Print Shop" I designed a page of tiny labels meant for tab inserts on file folders.





I then printed the page on a printable fabric sheet, the kind that I've been using for my photo aprons.












They match my business cards that I also made with "Print Shop".




I just cut them apart with scissors and sew one onto the end of an apron tie with a zig-zag stitch.







VOILA! Custom labels for my aprons!! I feel so professional now! AND, 60 labels cost me around $2.00! That's practically free compared to what I almost spent.....

Don't you just love a bargain!

No comments: