January 15, 2009

Dinner for the Fam....

You know, I really think that this "Lean for Life" program is going to work for me this time, long term. Having Daughter to "share" the experience with is making a huge difference, since she is only 2 miles away instead of 400 like the last time. It's not like I haven't always known the right way to eat to keep my weight down, it's just that obviously I've chosen not to live that way...until now. I know that this is not a "diet", but a lifelong commitment to different eating habits. I've decided to quit being "afraid" of food right now and get back to doing what I love to do (cooking) while still staying faithful to my new (necessary) eating style......

There are 3 adults in my household who all cook. Whoever feels like cooking on any given day just does it. Today I felt like creating something that all of us could enjoy:


Crockpot French-Dip Sandwiches
4 lbs. beef (whatever cut is on sale. I used 2 pot-roasts)
1 med. onion
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 can beef broth
1 can Coke
Remove as much fat as possible from meat and brown really well on both sides
Place in crock pot and sprinkle with onion soup mix
Slice onion into rings and place on top
Pour beef broth over
Pour Coke slowly over the top
Cover tightly and cook on high 6 hours
Remove meat from broth and shred with 2 forks. Strain broth. Place meat on your favorite bread or rolls, top with provolone cheese and place under broiler just to melt cheese. Serve with cups of au-jus on the side for dipping.


Dinner for everyone else: served with oven-roasted potatoes...Looks Yummy!!



Dinner for me: pot roast, roasted broccoli, and a salad with tangerines and balsamic....

Delicious!! (and I barely missed the potatoes and bread...)

SEE!.....I absolutely can do this without giving up the cooking and creating in the kitchen that is so much a part of me.......

(and I promise this is the last 'diet" post for a while...really!)

1 comment:

Chris said...

Both dinners look good!
Years ago I did serious Atkins even though I didn't have a weight problem, I just thought it made sense. It is very hard to stick to his version.
Now that I am older, over 50 and gaining weight I cut back on potatoes and bread and watched portion size. I didn't totally deprive myself, that never works. I have lost close to 10lbs. It took almost 6 months but it is staying off, no more up and down.
Stick with it, you'll make it and feel better for it. And it helps that your daughter is doing it too.

If you really like pasta, get Dreamfields. It is low-carb and tastes great. Stay away from the Carbquick (like Bisquick) products. The texture is awful, not worth the price or time.