February 20, 2010

What does a swamp taste like?

I'm not really sure when it happened, but somehow I've become the official Birthday Cake Maker for all the Grandkids Birthdays. It's not because I have any special talent in this area, as you'll see in a minute, I just have no fear of making a cake that might end up looking ridiculous! I alway do my best to make each child EXACTLY the cake they were envisioning, and so far every 3-4-5-6 year old has been very pleased with the results. I'm pretty sure their age has something to do with it, though, since the 2 biggest girls now ask for things like Caramel Apple Cheesecake.....no possibility of a cake decorating embarassement there!

Here, I'll show you what I mean.......and before any of you mention Cake Wrecks, it's already one of my favorite blogs, and besides, the cakes on there are all professional cakes so mine don't qualify (thank goodness)
3 yr. old Grandson asked for a scary dinosaur.....


What? You don't think a light blue dino with pink candy corn teeth is scary? Well, Grandson LOVED it! It was obviously what his little 3 yr.old self had in mind.....

When he turned 4...... Monkey Cupcakes. He loved those,too, even though I decorated them while they were still in the muffin pan and they didn't look quite so "good" when we tried to take them out without destroying them.



I think these Flip-Flop cakes were for a 7 yr.old. I remember she was very impressed with my "decorating skills"! (?)


No, this is not a Kangaroo face, it's a pony.......


A flock of Butterfly Cakes



This one actually came out looking like a kitty!


And now for what prompted this post in the first place: Grandson turned 5 this past week. Together we came up with the idea of a swamp cake! And what's better than helping with the decorating of your own Birthday Cake!




I'll give you a tour of our "Swamp"....... chocolate cake with chocolate fudge frosting, covered with oreo crumb "dirt". The green frosting swamp is surrounded with chocolate "rocks" and has gummi frogs swimming near green fruit leather "swamp grass". There are gummi worms, snails, slugs, and caterpillars crawling in the dirt.



Our Masterpiece!
Just what a 5 yr. old boy wanted! A creepy, swampy (and delicious!) cake!


Happy Birthday!!
Ethan
Bethan
Wheat Thin
Ethie-boy
...Love, Mimi